Editorial illustration sees illustrators making work to accompany a text. This week’s on campus session was an assignment exercise from an editorial illustration brief. I love these types of challenges! To create a flat colour image for a medical publication, no outline, not more than four colours – which can overlap. The work must illustrate an article on IBS and a low-FODMAP diet, written by Dr Michael Mosley.
It’s been a very busy week at AUB …
Have been enjoying Luke’s Theory Lectures – despite them being very late afternoon on a Monday, it’s so hard to concentrate at that time of day. I have recapped them and done my own research on the theories he presented. They are really interesting art genres that I have not really considered before, and gave me an excellent understanding of “The Uncanny” and “The Art of Ideas” (Conceptual Art). Yoko Ono’s work became clear to me, having an understanding of her conceptual instructions, and I looked up Robert Rauschenberg’s “Tire Print” – I’m tempted to have ago myself and use my car ….
The UCAS deadline for application is getting closer. I’ve been getting on with my application – BA Illustration at AUB – and have drafted and re-edited several versions of my Personal Statement so far. It’s been tricky working out old examining boards for certificates … and after a complete panic thinking I’d lost all my certificates, I finally found them … in the filing cabinet …. ahem.
This week I also managed to work out how to reserve and click ‘n’ collect AUB Library books online.
It was good to be engaged creatively and academically again with direction. I found the diorama mini set we sketched and built fun, and a great way of finding new angles through the layers using a viewfinder. The session really made me think about using line and mark, especially when sketching my coral piece, in many different ways, using a variety of mediums, large and small images, varying the line and mark to create tone and shadow.
I‘ve been experimenting with my own analog collage and some cyanotype/ sunprinting. The sunprinting took a while to work out arranging layers and which objects gave the best effects. I found a map Manhattan that I printed onto acetate, then used it as a background to a layered image of a feather and a sprig of dried flowers from my garden.
During October Reading Week, I visited Southampton City Gallery. Such a beautiful building in its own right, a perfect example of 1930s municipal architecture.
During the initial 6 weeks, the final project (Media) brief was called “Locale”